Source: News Bharati English14 Nov 2016 10:26:46

Wellington, November 14: New Zealand faced a 7.5 magnitude earthquake on Sunday which lead Tsunami attack in the south-eastern nation. The calamity forced out people of their homes and hotels in Wellington. Wellington had heavy rain and gale force winds - gusting up to 140km/h - later in evening. A spokesperson for the Wellington Regional Emergency Management Office said hundreds of people were evacuated from homes and apartments after the quake, though few hotels had been evacuated.
Kaikoura cut off as landslides bury State Highway 1 and main trunk rail line - HMNZS Canterbury is on its way and may be used to evacuate 1100 stranded tourists. Almost 400 aftershocks strike region after this devastating 7.5 quake which claimed the lives of at least two people - thousands of others miraculously escape injury.

A gauge at Kaikoura, 181 km (112 miles) north of Christchurch, measured a wave of 2.5m (8ft 2ins) in the early hours of the morning. At one point, the ministry of civil defence suggested tsunami waves as tall as five metres could hit the eastern coast. But just after 08:00 local time (19:00 GMT), the warning was scaled back to a "marine and beach threat" with waves of just one metre along a small stretch of coast.

Aftershocks continued throughout Monday morning. Many schools and offices stayed closed while engineers checked the buildings, and ferries and trains were cancelled. Cases of thefts also increased due to the evacuation process. Police said they will do everything in their power to find the thieves who targeted homes in Canterbury following morning's earthquake.

"I can assure Cantabrians that these burglaries will be investigated rigorously and those responsible will be held to account where appropriate," said Canterbury district commander superintendent John Price. Police received 19 reports of burglaries at Canterbury properties, residential and commercial, since just after midnight on Sunday.