New Delhi, Dec 26: Mithun Chakraborty, actor-turned-politician, and Rajya Sabha MP from Trinamool Congress, has tendered his resignation from the Upper House citing the health grounds. However, he is alleged to have been involved in the Saradha Ponzi scam that made news in 2015.
Mithun had attended the Upper House for just three days! He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in April 2014. His term was to expire in 2020.
Mithun Chakraborty had submitted his resignation to the Chairman of Rajya Sabha, TMC sources said. He has written to the Chairman that because of his health condition he is not been able to fulfil his duty in Rajya Sabha and that is why he is relinquishing his seat, sources added.
TMC Senior leader Derek O’Brien said that Mithun Chakraborty had earlier intimated Chief Minister and TMC Supremo Mamta Banerjee. In a tweeter message, he said, “We continue to share a warm relationship. Wish him speedy recovery”.
In April, Chakraborty had sent a letter to Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien, saying he would be unable to attend the parliament session due to ill health. His absence was questioned by the members of various parties, including the Samajwadi Party and the Janata Dal-United.
Calling it a “misuse of facility”, SP member Naresh Agarwal had said, “I have been seeing it that in every session there is a letter from Mithun Chakraborty stating he is unable to attend the house.”
Last year, Mr Chakraborty had been summoned by the Enforcement Directorate for questioning regarding the Saradha chit fund scam. The questioning came after Saradha chief Sudipta Sen told the agency that Chakraborty had charged him Rs. 2 crore to be the brand ambassador for his television channel.
The actor was questioned by the agency in March 2015. The next month, he had reportedly returned Rs. 1.2 crore to Enforcement Directorate that he said he had received from the Saradha group.