Source: News Bharati English09 Dec 2016 16:21:51
New Delhi, December 09: The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has urged people not to use the newspaper as food packaging material. According to the advisory, the Commissioners of Food Safety of all States/Union Territories will initiate systematic campaigns for generating awareness among all the stakeholders to discourage the use of newspapers for packing, serving and storing food items.
The FSSAI says that the use of newspapers for wrapping, packing and serving food is a common practice in India. However, this is a food safety hazard. Wrapping food in newspapers is an unhealthy practice and the consumption of such food is injurious to health, even if the food has been cooked hygienically. Indians are being slowly poisoned due to the newspaper being widely used as food packaging material by small hotels, vendors and also in homes in lieu of absorbent paper.
These are the reasons why we should not wrap eatables in Newspaper
- Foods contaminated by newspaper ink raise serious health concerns since the ink contains multiple bioactive materials with known negative health effects.
- Printing inks may also contain harmful colours, pigments, binders, additives, and preservatives.
- Chemical contaminants, presence of pathogenic microorganisms in used newspapers also poses the potential risk to human health.
- The Newspapers and even paper/ cardboard boxes made of recycled paper may be contaminated with metallic contaminants, mineral oils and harmful chemicals like phthalates.
- Those harmful chemicals cause digestive problems and also lead to severe toxicity.
- Older people, teenagers, children and people with compromised vital organs and immune systems are at a greater risk of acquiring cancer-related health complications if they are exposed to food packed in such material.
That’s why the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India urge that the newspapers should not be used to wrap, cover, and serve food or to absorb excess oil from fried food. There is an urgent need to discourage the use of newspaper as food packaging material by creating awareness among businesses, especially unorganised food business operators and consumers on its harmful effects.
Suitable steps need to be taken to restrict and control the use of newspapers for packing of food material.
The Commissioners of Food Safety of all States/UTs are requested to initiate a systematic campaign for generating awareness amongst all stakeholders to discourage the use of newspapers for packing, serving and storing of food items.