Quito, April 19: After the horrifying earthquake that shook Ecuador in South America and took lives of almost 413 people, the world powers are extending their aide for the losses occurred. UN Chief Ban Ki-Moon has commended the Ecuadorean authorities for their leadership in the rescue effort and in providing relief to affected communities.
OCHA announced that O'Brien is expected to travel to Ecuador later today to see for himself the impact of the temblor. He is expected to meet affected communities, as well as senior officials, emergency responders, and humanitarian organizations, to support national response efforts and mobilize donor support for the relief and recovery operation. The UN relief chief is expected to speak to media in Ecuador’s capital, Quito, on 20 April.
“The authorities continue to assess the impact and damage, but so far we know that across Manabi and Esmeralda provinces, the earthquake has damaged or destroyed homes, hospitals, roads and businesses, power lines have been cut and tens of thousands of people are currently sheltering in evacuation centres”, O’Brien said.
“Ban sends his deepest condolences to the people and Government of Japan and to all affected communities, wishing a speedy recovery to those injured. He commends the Government, emergency responders and other civil society organizations who are sparing no efforts to help people in need and to restore essential services,” said a statement.
“The United Nations and our humanitarian partners stand ready to support the people and the authorities with any expertise and support they may need,” he stressed, adding that World Health Organization has deployed a mobile medical emergency team.