Source: News Bharati English07 Jun 2016 08:38:04
New Delhi, June 7: The Supreme Court will hear today a plea seeking direction to the Uttar Pradesh government to recommend a CBI probe into the Jawahar Bagh violence in Mathura. Two Police officers, including a Superintendent of Police and a Station House Officer and 27 others were killed, when police tried to evict the illegal occupants from Jawahar Bagh on June 2 over the Allahabad High Court orders.A vacation bench of justices P C Ghose and Amitava Roy yesterday listed the matter, filed by lawyer and Delhi BJP spokesperson Ashwini Upadhyay. The petitioner's advocate sought an urgent hearing saying the CBI probe is necessary, looking at the gravity of the violence. The petitioner said, the court may also take suo motu cognizance of the matter and direct the CBI enquiry, as it is necessary to find out the truth.
The petitioner also sought a direction to the state and Centre for framing of a uniform policy for compensation for families of the deceased in such cases. The plea also claimed that the union government was ready for a CBI inquiry into the incident but Uttar Pradesh government was developing cold feet in recommending CBI probe.
Speaking at a rally in Amroha on Sunday, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh dared the Uttar Pradesh Government to call for a CBI investigation into the incident. "It seems like there is more to it than meets the eye. And such things should be brought into the open," said Rajnath at the rally. "If the Uttar Pradesh Government wants to get to the bottom of this, they should ask for a CBI inquiry into the violence. If they ask, the Centre will surely agree. This is not a small incident," he added.
A large amount of explosives were found during the search operation yesterday at the Jawahar Bagh where 25 people, including two cops, were killed following a clash between the police personnel and encroachers. Facing flak from all corners for offering a compensation of only Rs. twenty lakh to the kin of policemen killed in Mathura violence, the state government reportedly swung into damage control and increased the amount of compensation from Rs. 20 lakh to 50 lakh earlier on Saturday. It also announced that that the kin of the deceased security men will also be provided with extra ordinary pension.