Source: News Bharati English24 Aug 2016 10:15:48

Rome, August 24: The central Italy, on the early Wednesday, was hit by a magnitude 6.2 earthquake leaving thirty-eight people dead so far and several injured. According to the reports, residents fled their homes and ran into the streets. The terrible earthquake also left the buildings in shatters and the areas are void of power. This earthquake also sent the traces of tremors in Rome at the distance of 100 miles.
After the damage was reported in Amatrice, Mayor Sergio Pirozzi said, “Half the town no longer exists. There are people stuck in the rubble. Houses are no longer there.” He also added that Amatrice had been cut off because of damage to roads and to a bridge, and appealed during a live television broadcast for assistance. He also fears that many of the victims are stuck under the rubble.

A resident from the town of Arquata del Tronto, also a few kilometres from the epicentre, said many residents were trapped in their houses or were in the town square because their houses had crumbled. Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's spokesman said on Twitter that the government was in touch with the country's civil protection agency.

In 2009, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake in the Aquila region, which was also felt in the Italian capital, left more than 300 dead. Italy is often shaken by earthquakes. Another quake hit the northern Emilia Romagna region in May 2012, when two violent shocks 10 days apart left 23 people dead and 14,000 others homeless.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi took the twitter to give his condolence saying, ‘Saddened by the loss of lives due to a quake in Italy. Condolences to bereaved families & prayers with those injured.’