India signs MoU with Morocco on cooperation in the field of water resources to mark the ongoing Water Week campaign
Source : NewsBharatiDate : 12-Oct-2017
New Delhi, October 12: India and Morocco relations go back to 1957 when both the countries established friendly bond. Morocco seeks to increase its trade ties with India and is seeking Indian investment in various sectors. Taking the relations to another level, both countries have signed an MoU on cooperation in the field of water resources.
These MoU are signed during the time of ongoing Water Week 2017 in India. Water is a vital resource and this MoU will help to enhance cooperation in the field of water resources development and management. The domains of bilateral cooperation under this MoU include:
• conception, realisation and maintenance of the hydraulic infrastructure, notably big dams and water transfer projects;
• integrated water resources management, i.e., conjunctive use of surface and ground water resources, enhancement of water use efficiency, resilience and adaptation to climate change, artificial recharge of aquifers, organisational, institutional and regulation aspects;
• flood and drought management;
• sustainable development and management of ground water resources including recharge augmentation; and
• harvesting and valuation of rainfall water and resilience and adaptation to climate
The cooperation includes mission of experts, exchange of information and expertise, develop projects. The MoU also provides for setting up of a Joint Working Group(JWG) consisting of equal members from both the sides to monitor the activities to be carried out in fulfilment of the MoU. The Working Group shall hold its annual meeting alternatively in India and Morocco.
The cooperation, centered on the scientific, technical and technological fields, will encourage the establishment/development of bilateral relations between public and private organisations concerning water resources of both the countries. While exchanging the expertise and experiences on latest techniques and technologies, both the countries can learn and improve their skills.
The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has been envisaging bilateral cooperation with other countries in water resources development and management through sharing of policy and technical expertise, conducting of training courses, workshops, scientific and technical symposia, exchange of experts and study tours. Keeping in view the ongoing India-Africa cooperation, it has been decided to have an agreement with Morocco to exchange experience and expertise in water resources.