New Delhi, March 15: Delhi High Court today dismissed controversial preacher Zakir Naik's Islamic Research Foundation's plea challenging the Centre's decision to ban the organisation. The Ministry of Home of Affairs (MHA) had earlier showed confidential documents to the court on the basis of which a decision to ban the foundation was taken.
The court said that the government's decision to ban Naik's organisation was taken to safeguard national security. Holding that the foundation's plea challenging the Centre's decision has no merit, Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva said, the order of the government was neither arbitrary nor illegal.
Observing that the MHA has “sufficient material for immediate ban”, Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva dismissed Naik’s plea, which has challenged the ban order. “Immediate action appears to have been taken in interest of sovereignty, integrity and maintenance of public order,” the court said.
The government had said IRF was banned as there was fear that youth could be “radicalised or motivated” to join terror groups. Challenging the ban, the IRF had told the court that the notification did not give sufficient reasons and materials for taking such a step and that the ban was imposed without giving any showcause notice.
The Centre had earlier told the high court that as per the notification, Zakir Naik was also accused of making statements which were "derogatory of other religions" and thus, "spreading communal disharmony". It had said that Mumbai Police had already lodged an FIR against six others of IRF on a complaint by the father of a Kerala-based youth who joined Islamic state.