Source: News Bharati English12 Apr 2017 17:13:28
New Delhi, April 12: In India, many cases of sexual harassment on women in cabs are reported. To fight against it and to vanish it forever, Cab drivers will be provided by New Taxi Policy Guidelines concerning the safety of women commuters availing of cab services. It is assumed that soon ladies, especially the working women who travel at night will be safeguarded under these guidelines.The government had laid a ray of hope to the women who are spontaneously reporting the sexual harassment and abuse in cabs. The WCD Minister held a meeting with radio cab service providers to find a solution to the grave problem. Cab safety measures for Women recommended by Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) included in the New Taxi Policy Guidelines.
Many women who discussed their issues related to sexual harassment in cabs on Twitter and Facebook had been relaxed after getting to know about the guidelines given to cab drivers. The WCD Minister has launched #HelpMeWCD where any woman or child facing harassment/ violence can directly report their cases by tweeting.
Recommendations of WCD Ministry included in the New Taxi Policy Guidelines are:
- The taxis should be mandatorily fitted with GPS panic devices.
- For the safety of women and child passengers, the central locking system in the taxis should not be allowed.
- The driver's identification along with the photo and registration number of the vehicle should also be prominently displayed in the taxi.
- Violation of the stipulated rules by the taxi operators/drivers should be strictly dealt in accordance with law.
- Sharing of the seat should be subject to the willingness of passengers.