Source: News Bharati English07 Apr 2017 15:22:35
New Delhi, April 7: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, TRAI, has ordered Reliance Jio Infocomm to withdraw its Summer Surprise plan on Thursday. TRAI confirmed that all Jio subscribers who had already made the first recharge of Rs 303 and above will continue to avail of the benefits of the Summer Surprise offer till July 1.
TRAI Secretary Sudhir Gupta said the offer was not in accordance with its regulations. Jio had announced the Summer Surprise offer on March 31, under which it offered three months of complimentary services to subscribers who recharged for Rs 303 and above. Gupta said the regulator had asked for details of the plan the next day, following which it called for a meeting with Jio officials on April 5.
“We asked the Jio officials if Summer Surprise was a promotional offer like Happy New Year (which let users avail of free calls and 1GB of data daily till March 31). They said it was a special benefit and not a promotional offer,” said Gupta. “We found that the explanations were not satisfactory and Jio agreed to take back the offer.”
Following an advisory from TRAI, the telecom company said it would withdraw its complimentary offer through which it had extended its free offerings for three months for consumers subscribing to Jio Prime. In a statement, the mobile operator added that all customers who have subscribed to the offer prior to its discontinuation would remain eligible for the offer.
With the Summer Surprise offer, the telecom operator is providing 4G data, SMSes, app subion free for three months. This is the first time the regulator intervened to stop the company from offering free services.