Ranchi, May 15: Jharkhand has always been known infamously as the ‘Hub of Maoists’ which resides in the deep forests. With the Naxals menace in the state, Maoist Commander Kundan Pahan who has been wanted in 125 cases surrendered before the Jharkhand Police on Sunday. He is considered as the most dreaded top Maoist who is still in his 30s and had a reward of Rs 15 lakhs on his head.
He is allegedly involved in the Baliba ambush in Saranda and killing of DSP Pramod Kumar in 2008 in Ranchi district, Ranchi Senior Superintendent of Police. Kundan Pahan said he had realised that he had “wasted” 20 years and would now help in development works in the state. He joined the Maoist gang in 1999 and has suddenly decided to work towards the betterment of the state.
He led among the few Maoist teams to have looted a bank vehicle. However, in recent years, he had become inactive within the outfit. He has told police that Maoist commanders from the Santhali community don’t want non-Santhal leaders to rise, and this had caused him to distance himself from them. In January this year, Pahan’s brother Dimba had surrendered, while another brother, Shyam, had been arrested in February.