New Delhi, June 24: Around 50 Indian pilgrims travelling to Kailash Mansarovar through the Nathu La pass in Sikkim were detained by China. The External Affairs Ministry has said, there are some difficulties being experienced in movement of pilgrims going for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via Nathu La pass.
The Ministry's spokesman Gopal Baglay said, the matter is being discussed with the Chinese side. Reportedly, around 50 people in Sikkim were stuck near the Pass after the Chinese side closed the gates, citing landslide in Tibet.
Although reports claim that they were stopped as roads were washed away due to landslides, it has not been confirmed so far. The Nathu La pass route was opened to Indian pilgrims in 2015. After crossing over the pass, Indian pilgrims are ferried by Chinese transport to Kailash.
Hundreds of Indian pilgrims undertake Mansarovar yatra in China's Tibetan Autonomous Region every year. Meanwhile, there are two routes to get to Mount Kailash, considered the abode of Lord Shiva and of religious significance to Hindus, Jains and Buddhists.
About 1,400 devotees will undertake the yatra this year. Most of them will use the tougher Uttarakhand route; about 350 will attempt the journey through Sikkim.
The first batches of pilgrims were flagged off at Gangtok on June 16. Five batches of pilgrims were supposed to cross over to the Chinese side through Nathula pass.