Sanaa, June 9: An outbreak of cholera in Yemen is worsening day by day as at least 1310 people in a time period from 27th of April this year to till now. However, the suspected patients of the disease had reached up to 2,00,000. Notably, Yemen’s major parts are suffering from Cholera since the month of April this year.
The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday revealed shocking data that the cholera outbreak in Yemen has killed over 1310 people in a time period of three months. “The number of suspected cholera cases in war-torn Yemen has risen to more than 2,00,000,” WHO added in its report. Meanwhile, WHO's Yemen office has also said that as many 300,000 could get infected by the end of August.
On the other side, the United Nations have said children account for half of the registered cases to date, and about a quarter of the recorded fatalities. Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in conflict-torn Yemen has proved particularly difficult.
Yemen’s capital Sanaa is worst hit by cholera epidemic with 34.6 percent of the cases. Yemen’s four most affected governorate are Amanat Al Asimah, Al Hudaydah, Amran and Hajjah with 49.6% (95 735/192 983) of the cases reported since 27 April 2017. However, Al Hali (Al Hudaydah gov., 9 148 cases, 17 deaths), Bani Al Harith (Amanat Al Asimah gov., 6 047 cases, 10 deaths), Ma’ain (Amanat Al Asimah gov., 5 868, 7 deaths) and As Sabain (Amanat Al Asimah gov., 4 920 cases, 9 deaths) were still the four most affected districts.
The international community has come forward to provide aid to cholera hit Yemen but still not efficient as the numbers of patients are increasing effectively. Earlier, the United Nation has called Yemen "the largest humanitarian crisis in the world".
Interestingly, an epidemic late last year faded but outbreaks are frequent and made worse by the degrading of health and sanitation systems by more than two years of civil war that has also killed at least 10,000 people and displaced millions.