US Federal Court reinstates partial Trump travel ban in 6 Muslim-majority countries
 Source : News Bharati English  Date : 27-Jun-2017

Washington, June 27: The Supreme Court of United States of America on Monday allowed parts of Muslim travel ban to go into effect on immediate basis. Notably, the Apex court t is allowing the ban to go into effect for foreign nationals of six Muslim nations who lack any "bona fide relationship with any person or entity in the United States."

 

The Apex Court while taking the decision has said, the ban, which had been put on hold by lower courts, could be enforced for travelers from the six countries who had no bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States. It said the ruling would remain in force until the court hears the case in full in October. The court, in October, can decide finally whether the ban is lawful in a major test of presidential powers.

President Donald Trump said the Supreme court's decision which partially reinstates his travel ban is a clear victory for the US national security. In a White House statement, he said, court's ruling allows the travel suspension for the six terror-prone countries and the refugee suspension to become largely effective. President Trump also added that he cannot allow people into our country who want to do us harm.

However, this is the first time the high court has weighed in on the travel ban, and a partial victory for the Trump administration, which has been fighting lower court rulings blocking the ban from taking effect. The ban, which bars people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the US for 90 days outside of the "bona fide" relationship exception, could take effect in as little as 72 hours.

BACKGROUND:

President Donald Trump in the month of March this year signed a revised executive order barring travelers from six Muslim-majority countries to the United States or three months, and all refugees for four months. These countries are Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen. But this executive was challenged in lower courts where the order stayed completely. President Donald Trump said his top priority is focusing on the safety and security of the US and not targeting any religion.