Doha, July 10: Amidst Gulf crisis, Qatar has announced to seek compensation for damages from Arab blockade. Notably, Qatar's attorney general, Ali bin Fetais Al-Marri said that the government is forming a committee to pursue compensation for damages stemming from its isolation by four Arab countries.
Earlier, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties and severed air, land and sea links with Qatar accusing it of supporting terrorism. Ali Al-Marri said that the committee will handle claims made by private companies, public institutions and individuals. Giving some details of a committee, Ali Al-Marri said the body would use both domestic and international mechanisms to seek compensation and will hire overseas law firms to handle its claims.
"You have people who have sustained damages, businessmen who have sustained damages, banks which have sustained damages, as a result of this blockade," Ali Al-Marri said. "And those who compelled these damages to happen must pay compensation for them," he added.
Al-Marri also insisted that the decision to pursue compensation for damages is not tied to the current state of negotiations between Qatar and the four other countries. "The difference between politics and law is that in law there is continuity, unlike politics, which could be stopped by certain conditions," he noted.
Interestingly, members of the newly formed committee to seek compensation include Qatar's minister of justice and minister of foreign affairs. However, Kuwait has been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to mediate the dispute.
BACKGROUND: Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Yemen, Maldives, Bahrain cut off ties with 2022 FIFA World Cup host Qatar on June 5 accusing of spreading terrorism in other countries. Later, Saudi and its allies issued a 13-point list of demands to end the rift on June 22 and gave Qatar 10 days to comply which is not yet fulfilled by Doha.