Dual attack for Yemen: Cholera outbreak claims death over 1500 while 2,46,000 more suspected
 Source : News Bharati English  Date : 02-Jul-2017

Sanaa, July 9: An outbreak of cholera in Yemen is worsening day by day as the death toll has crossed over 1500 in a time period from 27th of April this year to till now. However, the suspected patients of the disease have reached up to 2,46,000. Notably, Yemen’s major parts are suffering from Cholera since the month of April this year.

 

 

 

 

Speaking at a joint news conference with representatives of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) and the World Bank, Zagaria said that had been some 246,000 suspected cases in the period to June 30. However, the WHO said this week that the outbreak had reached the halfway mark at 218,798 cases as a massive emergency response has begun to curb its spread two months into the epidemic.

On the other side, the United Nations have said children account for half of the registered cases to date and about a quarter of the recorded fatalities. Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in conflict-torn Yemen has proved particularly difficult. Most of Yemen's health infrastructure has broken down and health workers have not been paid for more than six months, however, the WHO is paying "incentives" to doctors, nurses, cleaners and paramedics to staff an emergency cholera network.

Yemen’s capital Sanaa is worst hit by cholera epidemic with 34.6 percent of the cases. Yemen’s four most affected governorate are Amanat Al Asimah, Al Hudaydah, Amran and Hajjah with 49.6% (95 735/192 983) of the cases reported since 27 April 2017. The international community has come forward to provide aid to cholera hit Yemen but still not efficient as the numbers of patients are increasing effectively. Earlier, the United Nation has called Yemen "the largest humanitarian crisis in the world".

The United Nation has called Yemen "the largest humanitarian crisis in the world" and on the other side World Health Organization classified Yemen as one of the worst humanitarian emergencies in the world alongside Syria, South Sudan, Nigeria and Iraq.

An epidemic late last year faded but outbreaks are frequent and made worse by the degrading of health and sanitation systems by more than two years of civil war that has also killed at least 10,000 people and displaced millions.