Jerusalem, July 28: Israel has put the ban on the men aged under 50 from entering the shrine for Friday prayers and has also put security forces on high alert. The decision to debar men under age 50 came after the violent clashes over this week that left more than 100 Palestinians injured. The Al Aqsa Mosque has been in headlines since the deadly shootout erupted back earlier in last week.
Israel removed the metal detectors and high-security cameras which were installed after two Israeli policemen were shot dead by the gunmen. Hence Israel installed the metal detectors and high surveillance cameras to ensure the security. Israel’s move was strongly criticized by the Muslims as they alleged that Israel was trying to expand its control at the Muslim-administered site and have launched mass prayer protests.
Five Palestinians and four Israelis have been killed in the clashes that ensued after the new security measures were installed. On Friday, several thousand Palestinians clashed with Israeli security forces in the West Bank and in Jerusalem after noon prayers. Also, one of the protestors was admitted in the hospital succumbed to his injuries. This left several upset, also Muslims protested against Israel’s move by praying outside the Al Aqsa Mosque.
Israel's Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, ordered reinforcements deployed to Jerusalem because of the unrest. The order came as police were deciding on restricting the entrance to the compound for Friday prayers.
On Friday, several thousand Palestinians clashed with Israeli security forces in the West Bank and in Jerusalem after noon prayers. Three Palestinians were killed and several dozens wounded. On the same evening, 20 –year old identified as Omar al-Abed entered a home in Halamish settlement, where a family was having their traditional Sabbath dinner. He stabbed to death Yosef Salomon, 70, and his adult children, 46-year-old Chaya and 35-year-old Elad. A neighbour, an off-duty soldier, heard the screams, rushed to the home and opened fire, wounding the attacker.
Netanyahu recommended the death penalty for a 20-year-old Palestinian who snuck into a West Bank home and stabbed three Israelis to death. The Israeli PM visited the family of the Israelis. "I told the family that it is time to implement the death penalty for terrorists for extreme cases," Netanyahu said in a video posted on his Facebook page.