Kabul, August 26: At least 20 worshippers were killed and 50 others injured in an hour-long suicide bomb and gun attack on a mosque in capital Kabul yesterday. Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mir Hussain Nasiri, a member of Afghanistan's Shiite clerical council, said gunmen have taken over the portion of the mosque with the separate prayer areas for men and women.
The Islamic State said in a statement on the website of its Aamaq news agency that it had deployed two attackers to the mosque. There was no immediate explanation for the contradictory number of attackers. It did not give further details.
President Ashraf Ghani condemned the violence and said the militants were turning to attacking places of worship because they were losing on the battlefield. He urged Islamic clerics everywhere to condemn the bloodshed.
Last month it hit the Iraqi embassy in Kabul and afterwards issued a warning to all Shia in Afghanistan, saying its cadres would attack Shia places of worship. Isis claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing and gun attack which targeted the Iraqi embassy in Kabul that killed 32 people.