At least 13 killed, 18 injured by car bomb in Afghanistan
 Source : NewsBharati  Date : 28-Aug-2017

Kabul, August 28: Thirteen people including Afghan army men and civilians were killed and 18 others injured after a car bomb exploded in the southern province of Helmand in Afghanistan. Taliban has not claimed any responsibility for the attack.

The Helmand governor’s spokesman, Omar Zwak said the attack occurred in a market in Nawa, a district in the center of the province, which has seen heavy fighting in recent weeks as government forces have battled for control with Taliban insurgents.

 

Afghan forces said they had retaken Nawa district in July but there has been continued fighting in the area since.

The hospital in Lashkar Gah run by the Italian aid group Emergency said it had received 3 dead and 19 wounded while Bost Hospital, another facility, said it had received 10 wounded.

The attack comes just days after a suicide bomber in Lashkar Gah killed at least 7 people and wounded 40. Taliban is trying to restore strict Islamic rule in Afghanistan and drive out foreign forces.

Notably, US President Donald Trump last week announced a stepped-up military campaign against Taliban insurgents who have gained ground steadily in Afghanistan since a NATO-led coalition ended its main combat mission in 2014.

Casualties among Afghan security forces flew by 35 percent in 2016, with 6,800 soldiers and police killed, according to US watchdog SIGAR. More than 2,500 Afghan police and troops were killed from 1 January to 8 May.