New Delhi, September 8: Chairing a high level meeting on Safety in train operations with Railway Board officials, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has directed officials to undertake immediate measures to address the problem of derailments and unmanned level crossings.
The Minister said, track replacement and renewal should be accorded on priority basis. Goyal said, the procurement of new rails should be expedited on a large scale with a view to complete construction of new lines in time.
There was threadbare discussion on the subject and the root cause of repeated cases of train accidents in recent past was thoroughly analysed. The Minister directed the Railway Board to monitor implementations of this action plan on a regular basis.
1) All unmanned level crossings should be eliminated expeditiously on the entire Indian Railway network in a year’s time from now.
2) Track Replacement/renewal should be accorded Priority & the tracks (rails) earmarked for use for constructing new lines should be diverted to places/ stretches which are prone to accidents & where replacement is due.
3) The procurement of new rails should be expedited on a large scale with a view to complete construction of new lines in time.
4) The manufacturing of conventional ICF design coaches should be stopped forthwith & new design LHB coaches only should be manufactured.
5) Anti-Fog LED lights should be installed in Locomotives so that unhindered safe train operations can be ensured during fog season.