Mumbai, February 3: On Friday, Maharashtra launched four new schemes for funding businesses, agriculture and skill development. The schemes were launched are expected to benefit ‘Maratha’ community. Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis launched the schemes at the Sahyadri guest house, saying that the schemes will train youngsters in developing skills in agriculture and industries, besides funding enterprising endeavours.
The state will back financially to help farmers and youngsters. The state will bear the interest of the loans taken from various banks. Those active in the field of agriculture, small-scale industries, self-help groups and farm product companies will also be eligible for the funding.
Besides funding, the government also chalked out a programme including 34 agricultural courses to empower the youth to use the latest technology in farming. The state is expected to spend Rs200 Crore on the 16-month project.
“We have been putting our foot down to ensure reservation for the Maratha community at the earliest. Besides extending the scholarships to 602 courses, the students have also been given the facility of the hostels at district levels. The four new courses will help in developing agricultural and industrial skills. The courses will help us in imparting training to 3.5 lakh farmers and youngsters,” CM Fadnavis said.
The schemes have been launched under the aegis of the Annasaheb Patil Financially Backward Development Corporation (APFBDC) which was meant to promote enterprising skills among the youth from economically backward classes.
Narendra Patil, MLA and one of the conveners of the silent marches organised last year said, “We are happy that the government has launched the schemes as was announced after our August 9 rally. Though the schemes are open for all economically backward classes, the maximum number of beneficiaries would be from the Maratha community as other communities have their own corporations.”
The Maratha community outfits took out massive protest marches in major cities in the state from August 9, 2016 to August 9, 2017. The protests were discontinued after the Mumbai march when the government promised to fulfill their demands.