SC asks parties to provide to file English translation of documents, next hearing on March 14
 Source : NewsBharati  Date : 08-Feb-2018

New Delhi, February 8: The Supreme Court on Thursday adjourned the hearing in the Ramjanmabhumi-Babri Masjid case as some documents and translations have not yet been filed. The case will be next heard on March 14 of this year.

 

Notably, the special bench of the Supreme Court comprising Chief Justice Deepak Misra, Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice S. Abdul Nazeer adjourned the hearing in the Ramjanmabhumi-Babri Masjid case as some documents and translations have not yet been filed.

The court has asked to submit English translation of documents by both the parties within two weeks time. The Supreme Court also directed its Registry to provide copies of video cassettes, which were part of high court records, to parties on actual cost.

During the hearing, the apex court has also said that it will deal with the case as a pure land dispute, an indication that the centuries-old history attached to the case was of no significance to it. The apex court further denied for a day-to-day hearing in the case. However, the case will be next heard on March 14.

Importantly, the court had in December last year decided to hear the civil appeals against the 2010 Allahabad high court verdict in the matter in February. The apex court began the final hearing in the Ram Janmabhumi-Babri Masjid dispute case just a day before the 25th anniversary of the demolition of the disputed structure at Ayodhya by lakhs of Karsevaks gathered there from all over the country.

The Allahabad High Court in its judgement of September 30, 2010, ruled that the disputed land of 2.77 acres be divided among the three parties – the Sunni Wakf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and the presiding deity Ram Lalla Virajman.

As the SC Bench assembled to hear the case, Kapil Sibal, representing Sunni Wakf Board told the court that a total number of 19,590 documents were to be filed in the apex court which was incomplete. His submission was contested by the Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing Uttar Pradesh, who rebutted all remarks by Sibal. He told the court that all the related documents and requisite translation copies were on record.

Senior advocate Rajeev Dhawan, who is also representing Sunni Wakf Board along with Sibal and Dushyant Dave, submitted that the matter be referred to a larger bench of the apex court.

Kapil Sibal again pleaded that whenever the Ayodhya case was heard, it evoked serious repercussions outside the court. He requested the court to defer the case till July 15, 2019 in order to preserve the law and order decorum, once all the pleadings are complete and the general elections are over. He also sought reason from the court for giving an urgent hearing to the case.

The Supreme Court said that it agreed that the suit is not an ordinary one, but “it has to start somewhere”. Around 3 pm the court stopped hearing to take stock of the documents filed and not filed and fixed February 8, 2018 as next date for resuming the hearing.