'Somebody had to step back..!' NCP chief Sharad Pawar refuses to contest LS polls..!
Source :NewsBharati Date :11-Mar-2019
New Delhi, march 11: Post ECI’s announcement of the schedules for LokSabha election, the NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Monday cleared that he will not contest the polls in order to give an opportunity to the young leadership.
The 78 year old veteran politician said as two members of his family are going to contest the polls, somebody had to step back. "Since I have already won elections 14 times, I decided not to contest the poll”, he added further.
"I decided to give an opportunity to the young leadership. I thought this was the right time to take this decision," he said informing further that his nephew and former deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar's son Parth Pawar will be NCP's candidate from Maval Lok Sabha constituency.
"Jayant Patil, whose party has good presence in three of the six Assembly segments in Maval Lok Sabha constituency, urged me to give ticket to Parth as his party is ready to work for him. We also have strong presence in the other three constituencies and we thought of giving an opportunity to the young leadership by giving ticket to Parth from Maval," he asserted.
Pawar had earlier said that his party workers wanted him to contest from Madha constituency in Solapur district, currently represented by NCP leader Vijaysinh Mohite Patil. "There was a lot of insistence that I contest from Madha. However, my candidature hasn't been declared yet," he said.
Pawar, who always won from his home turf Baramati in Pune, announced in 2012 that he would not be contesting Lok Sabha elections. The NCP chief's daughter Supriya Sule currently represents the family bastion of Baramati in the Lok Sabha.