#JNUSeditionCase: Court pursues reports from Delhi Police, asks ‘why such hurry’

NewsBharati    11-Mar-2019

New Delhi, Mar 11: “What was the hurry in filing charge sheet without sanctions”, questioned Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Deepak Sehrawat on Monday, while court drawing up the Delhi Police in connection with the JNU Sedition Case.

The Patiala House Court sought a report of the case from Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) and then scheduled the matter for further hearing on March 29.

On hearing, Chief Public Prosecutor Vikas Singh informed the court that granting of sanctions can take 2 or 3 months. Court also likely seek to view and consider the electronic evidence in the case, including a video of the incident. On February 28, the Delhi Police informed the court that the file for grant of sanctions is still pending with Delhi government and that they have received no reply as yet. The court also directed Delhi Police to urge the Delhi government to expedite the sanction process to prosecute former JNU student’s Union (JNUSU) president Kanhaiya Kumar and others in the case.

Delhi government also rapped, saying it cannot sit on a file for an indefinite time. The court cannot take the knowledge of the police charge sheet without sanction from the home department of the state concerned, under the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).

In the charge sheet filed in court in January, Delhi Police said, there were videos wherein Kumar could be seen “leading the students who were raising anti-national slogans”, and that he had been identified by the witnesses in the video. Delhi Police has claimed to have recovered communication between Kanhaiya Kumar and his associate Umar Khalid besides video footage to suggest “evidence” that they were part of a group of students who raised anti-national slogans during a protest event organized on the campus on Feb 9, 2016.

"The location of the mobile phone at the place of occurrence" was also cited as evidence against Kumar in the 1200-page charge sheet.

As part of other evidence, the police said the Forensic Science Laboratory had retrieved an SMS sent by Khalid to Kumar, asking him to "arrive at Sabarmati Dhaba, JNU, as their permission had been canceled by the JNU administration.