New Delhi, Jun 13: India is taking many significant initiatives and projects for the development of defense and security. The DRDO is marking many accomplishments every week. Now, furthering this success, DRDO successfully piloted the maiden flight test of the indigenously developed unmanned scramjet demonstration aircraft for hypersonic speed flight from base off Odisha coast on Wednesday.
As per the defense sources, yesterday’s test was a big step in furthering the development of a hypersonic cruise missile system. This trial test was carried out from Dr. Abdul Kalam Island at about 11.25 am.
The official statement, the new technology was tested, during this, data generated by radars showed that the trial was a success.
Further, Statement stated, the aircraft which was tested yesterday forms an important component of the country’s ambitious program for the development of a hypersonic cruise missile system.
On this success, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik praised DRDO and said, “the new technology will bolster India’s defense capability in air space”.
Here are some important features of Hypersonic Defense Vehicle (HSTDV)-
- Developed under the special project, HSTDV (Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle) is an unmanned scramjet demonstration aircraft for hypersonic speed flight.
- Under the HSTDV program, a demonstrator flight vehicle has been conceptualized to determine the scramjet technology for a short duration of about 20 seconds.
- After this successful test, India joined another select club of countries having such technology.
- Apart from being used as a vehicle for hypersonic and long-range cruise missiles, it is a dual-use technology which will have multiple civilian applications.
- HSTDV will also be used for launching satellites at low cost.