New Delhi, February 12: Coming in view of reports that data of the final list of the National Register of Citizens has been made offline from its official website, the Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday said that the NRC data in Assam is safe even though some technical issues were visible and that will be resolved soon.
The data was not available for a couple of days while it created panic in the public, mostly among the people excluded from the list as the rejection certificates were yet to be issued. NRC State Coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma accepted that the data has been made offline, but refuted the allegation of any malafide intent in it.
"The cloud service for the huge set of data was provided by IT firm Wipro and their contract was till October 19 last year. However, this was not renewed by the previous coordinator. So, the data got offline from December 15 after it was suspended by Wipro", Sarma noted.
He said the state coordination committee had decided to do necessary formalities in its meeting on January 30 and wrote to the Wipro during the first week of February. "Once Wipro makes the data live, it will be available for public. We hope people will be able to access it in the next 2-3 days," Sarma said.
The complete detail of exclusion and inclusion of bonafide Indian citizens in the NRC was uploaded on its official website http://www.nrcassam.nic.in after the final list was published on August 31, 2019. The final NRC was published by excluding 19,06,657 persons. A total of 3,11,21,004 names were included out of 3,30,27,661 applicants.
After the earlier NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela relinquished the charge on November 11 following his transfer to home state Madhya Pradesh on a direction from the Supreme Court, Sarma was appointed in his place on November 9.