New Delhi, Jan 13: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said the new National Education Policy introduced by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led central government was a step towards nation-building and was inspired by the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda.
Speaking at the valedictory function of the second National Youth Parliament Festival via video conferencing, the Prime Minister said the government is building an eco-system that will give better opportunities to the youth in India.
"Swami Vivekananda always focused on the development of both mental and physical strength. He said one should have muscles of iron and nerves of steel. The government's Fit India Movement and National Education Policy are inspired by his philosophy," PM Modi said.
He said the new education policy is focused on individual development by providing flexibility in the course structure.
"One brilliant individual creates one good company, which further creates a brilliant ecosystem. This ecosystem creates many brilliant individuals who create many other good companies... We are building that kind of ecosystem in the country, which will provide youth similar opportunities as foreign universities," he said.
Here are top quotes from PM Modi's address:
1. Today is an important day as the National Youth Parliament Festival is being held at the Central Hall of the Parliament which witnessed the framing of our Constitution.
2. Time passed, the country became independent, but we still see today, Swamiji's influence is still the same.
3. What he said about spirituality, what he said about nationalism and nation-building, his thoughts about public service and jagseva flow in our mind-temple today with the same intensity
4. Swami Vivekananda has given another precious gift. It is a gift to build individuals, to build institutions. It is rarely discussed.
5. People come under the influence of Swamiji, build institutions, then people come out from those institutions who go on the path shown by Swamiji and keep adding new people.
6. This cycle of Individual to Institutions and Individuals to Institutions is a great strength of India.
7. The new National Education Policy is a step towards nation-building. We are building an eco-system which will give better opportunities to our youth here. The policy aims to create better individuals by prioritizing aspirations, skills, understanding, and choice of the youth.
8. Swami used to say that the youth of the country has to come forward and take responsibility for the development of the nation.
9. It is never 'nation first' for political dynasties; for them, it is all about 'me and my family', says PM Modi
10. Exhorting young people to join politics, PM Modi says poison of dynastic politics will continue to weaken democracy unless they enter it