The new and reconstructed Motera Stadium of Ahmedabad will be making its grand debut as it will hosts the third Test between India and England tomorrow. In addition to that, the third will also be a Pink-ball or Day/Night Test – only the second ever to take place in India.
Surpassing Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Motera has become the largest cricket stadium in the world scripting its name in the record books with a seating capacity of a whopping 1,10,000. However, it will allow only 55,000 fans in line with Covid-19 protocol. Located in Sabarmati, Ahmedabad, the Motera Stadium will be inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind.
1. Spread across 63 acres, 6 indoor pitches - dream for athletes
The Motera Stadium is spread across 63 acres that has a clubhouse with 50 deluxe rooms and five suits including an Olympic-size swimming pool.
A total of 11 clay pitches of six red and five black soil have been prepared in the stadium. It is the first stadium to use both colored clay for main and practice pitches. In the event of rain, the pitch can be dried in only 30 minutes.
3. 11 centre strips
It boasts 11 centre strips, which itself is unique along with four dressing rooms which is connected to in-built gymnasium. "This is the only stadium in the world with 11 centre pitches on the main ground. Also we are the only stadium in the world with same soil being used for practice as well as centre strips," GCA joint secretary Patel said.
4. LED lights
The Sardar Patel Stadium will have LED floodlights for better visibility and in a bid to eliminate shadows. It will provide comfort to the spectators as well as the cricketers. An innovative feature of this stadium is that the 360-degree podium concourse at a height of 9 meters simplifies the movement of spectators, as well as provides a uniform view to the spectators from any stand.
5. Other features:
- There are 76 corporate boxes that are designed have a seating capacity of 25 each.
- Huge dressing rooms have been created for both teams.
- Separate state-of-the-art gyms have also been set up.
- A special lounge has been built near the players and VIP entrance.
- The autographed bat collection of players from the teams of IPL and World Cup matches played so far in the Autograph Gallery at the stadium is the center of attraction.
- "Hall of Fame", featuring photographs of world-renowned cricketers, catches the eyeballs of the spectators.