Well, changing to a new diet is easier said than done right?
Taking a diet plan is just the beginning, sustaining it is a real challenge where most people fail.
Some of the most common complaints I here from my clients are, how they failed to manage diet friendly meals, how they failed to find right groceries on time and how they got bored of eating same food.
Hence I am sharing 5 tips to sustain and manage any diet easily. Hope this helps you to sustain and enjoy your diet.
- Study the diet plan thoroughly: Once you get your plan from nutritionist make sure to read it properly. See if there is anything which you can’t manage or find easily. Ask her to make changes accordingly. Also make note of foods and groceries included so you can make list of stores or websites from where you can order regularly and you never run out of groceries. In addition you can also make list of foods you have to buy for a week / month and foods you need to buy daily. Like if it’s a monthly plan then you can buy nuts for whole month once.
- Recipes, recipes , recipes ! : Now main ingredients are not going to change daily so rather than getting bored of eating same food , check online for millions of recipes available. You can give your own twist to the recipes. Nutritionists might not give you variety of recipes but you can find yours with same ingredients. Also you can get the recipe checked from your nutritionist if you are not sure. So go , check , find, plan, make , relish and don’t get bore of diet.
- Preparing ahead: Well , sustaining diet needs top class managerial skills. Once you have plan with recipes ready at hand, next step is to prepare for them ahead as much as possible. Like you can make a sauce / gravy for next 2 days in advance, you can chop and properly store vegetables and last minute just add different combinations of veggies and dressings and your salad is ready. Dressings too can be done in advance. Marinate your meat ahead. Also snacks can be stored for a week so you can make them on weekends. Like this prepare ahead so no matter how busy you are, you won’t miss your diet.
- Plate it up! : After seeing those beautifully plated dishes, why is it that we crave them so much? Because we not just eat with our mouth but we eat with our nose, eyes and mouth. Yes that’s right. So the process of eating goes like this , first we see the food , our brains make note of it then we assume the taste of the food just by its sight and then we smell the food , again more assumptions after this and then finally we taste it. So by the time we taste it, in our heads we have already decided if we are going to like it, eat it or not. Hence plating is very important. Let your mind love the food, then only your body will.
- Mindset: This matters most in sustaining any diet. Why do you eat food? Just to fuel your body or for more. It is a common sight among people who have been trying to sustain a diet that they lose emotional connect with their food. They just devour it. Thus fail to sustain diet or diet doesn’t work as it should. Food has a great emotional connect so if you follow any diet as compulsion or something forced on you it won’t have positive effect on your body. Hence follow any diet with positive mindset. Enjoy the food, try to create memories around it and see it work like magic on you.